What Is My Incentive?
Join a carpool to go further, or jump on a bike to boost your health and your wallet. You can receive a $240 taxable carpool/bike incentive once every 6 months for carpooling or biking to work at least 60 days within each 6-month reporting period. This incentive is paid out twice a year if you meet all requirements. That's up to $480 a year! The 60 days can be achieved through a combination of biking and/or carpooling.
What is a carpool? For the purposes of this program, a carpool is defined as at least one benefits-eligible County of Marin employee who travels to/from a County office or facility with at least one other person whose work location is also within the County of Marin. The County of Marin employee's commute must end at a County office or facility.
Where can I find a carpool? Log onto your Marin Commutes account and search for other County and non-County carpoolers near you who match your schedule.
Eligibility & Requirements
Benefits-eligible employees are eligible to receive the carpool/bike incentive, $240 per 6-month reporting period. In order to receive the carpool/bike incentive, each participant is required to track their trips using a carpool to and from their County of Marin workplace in the Marin Commutes Trip Tracker. Carpoolers and bikers must enter a minimum of 60 days of carpooling and/or biking within each 6-month reporting period into the Marin Commutes Trip Tracker. Program participation and incentive eligibility is tracked through the Marin Commutes Trip Tracker. The RideGreen Team will review your Trip Tracker prior to reimbursement approval and disbursement.
Note: On November 1, 2019, the County of Marin switched from 511 Trip Diary to Marin Commutes for tracking carpool/bike incentive trips. Trips logged using 511 Trip Diary will no longer count toward the incentive.
To be enrolled in the Carpool/Bike Incentive Program, create your Commute Profile and use your Trip Tracker at Marin Commutes.
For instructions on how to create a Marin Commutes account and how to log your carpool trips in the Trip Tracker, refer to the Marin Commutes instructions.
How Does This Carpool/Bike Incentive Program Channel Work?
Reimbursements will be added to the next available paycheck and disbursed following approval at the end of each 6-month reporting period.
- Carpool/Bike Incentive Disbursement 1 — This reimbursement will be paid out in May/June to reflect the reporting period between November 1 - April 30.
- Carpool/Bike Incentive Disbursement 2 — This reimbursement will be paid out in November/December to reflect the reporting period between May 1 - Oct 31.
The Carpool/Bike Incentive Process
- Each participant enters their carpool trips on their Marin Commutes Trip Tracker regularly throughout each 6-month reporting period. In order to be eligible for the incentive, you are required to carpool and/or bike at least 60 days within the 6-month reporting period.
- At the end of each 6-month reporting period, the RideGreen Team reviews your Trip Tracker for completeness.
- You receive an email notification of your eligibility to receive the carpool/bike incentive.
- The RideGreen Team then sends the list of eligible participants to Payroll in the Department of Finance for processing.
- Finally, the carpool/bike incentive is added to the next available paycheck following approval at the end of the 6-month reporting period.
Don't forget, carpoolers can also request preferred parking at the Civic Center and the Health and Wellness Center!
For more information, visit the RideGreen FAQs.
Return to the RideGreen page